✨ Start Here
Building Your Lifeline on Inbound
Breaking into Strategic Accounts
Before You Begin
The Account Dogpile Play works extremely well with an account with multiple personas who are active on LinkedIn. This play is job-title agnostic: you’re trying to make a name for yourself inside the company through all available avenues.
This play works best with the following types of accounts:
- Accounts who have multiple active profiles out on LinkedIn across different seniority levels and functions
This play has 1 key results:
- Everyone inside the account will be talking about you
Inspired by Evan Patterson
“I don't care if you're the janitor or if you're the VP of Sales. I am going to make friends of everyone inside and out because I find that I would rather book 40, 50, 60 intro meetings at the same company with non-decision makers and build a fan base in a company. So therefore they can go to their boss 60 different times saying we need this problem solved.” - Evan Patterson
Step 1. Segment the Account
At every account, there will be three tiers of leads. Ignore job titles, only focus on the account in its entirety.
- Active leads who are posting content (Tier 1)
- Active leads who are not posting content but commenting and liking (Tier 2)
- Lurker leads who are not posting content or commenting (Tier 3)
Even if you sell to HR, the goal of the Account Dogpile is to use every single avenue available to route into the account. That means Tier 1 leads (active leads who are posting content) could be Directors of Sales or Product Managers. You’re totally ignoring job titles.
Step 2. Prepare for engagement.
Since there are multiple, active profiles at this account:
- Open up separate tabs of Tier 1 accounts who have posted content today
- Open up separate tabs of Tier 1 / Tier 2 accounts who have commented today (but not posted)
Yes, this is manual work. But remember, you’re just dogpiling on all at once, so it’s best to get these accounts all lined up! It’s possible you’ll have 10-30 tabs open at once depending upon the size of the account.
Step 3. Rapid Fire Tier 1 & 2 engagement.
Now, run the comment strategies previously detailed in the Influencer Comment Play or Social Listening Comment Play. Get some conversations going! Just go from one profile to the next.
⚠️ Try not to start multiple conversations with one lead in multiple places. The goal is to get multiple different leads to talk with you, not overwhelm a singular lead with engagement.
💡 Pro Tip: You can assemble all of the Tier 1 and 2 profiles inside a Sales Navigator Lead List for easy organization.
Step 4. Connect with Tier 3s.
As detailed in the next module Connection Strategies, it’s important to still reach lurker accounts. Use the blank connection option or a personalized connection option if it makes sense, depending upon the conversation.
Step 5. Repeat over 30 days.
Continue repeating this play over a month as each Tier 1 and Tier 2 continues to post content and comment on influencer’s posts. You will definitely get known within the account, quickly!
This play is successful when:
- You earn connection requests from across the account
- You earn connection requests from ICP leads
- You have meaningful conversations with ICP leads
- You build a name for yourself within the account
If you aren’t getting up to the Rule of 3 with Tier 1 or Tier 2 accounts, work on formulating more insightful comments or ask different questions. Throw in GIFs, add your perspective, tell jokes — make it fun! It’s social after all. We’re supposed to have fun!